Thursday 16 April 2015

N...No Socks



It may be spring, but that doesn’t mean it’s warm weather, but we Canadians are a hardy bunch and if the temperature is above zero, it feels warm after the months of freezing cold. Last week I saw my teenage granddaughter, and noticed she was wearing her moccasins and no socks. Then I noticed a friend was doing the same when we met for dinner.



How quickly we throw off our socks, that confining feeling we equate with winter. I suppose of all the garments we might go without, socks are a quieter and safer rebellion.

Years ago, at my writing group, we were given the topic spring, for our 150 word challenge. The following is what I wrote, and thought it fitting.

My toes are tingling.  That itchy, fidgety, tingling sensation that can only mean one thing.  It is almost as if they are yelling “off damn socks”.  It's spring, time to cut loose from the confines of winter, to get rid of the boots, the sneakers, the socks.  I can almost feel it and wait in anticipation, for the freedom, the absolute frivolity, of flip flops.






1 comment:

Robyn Proctor said...

As a little girl I absolutely hated wearing socks, they were too uncomfortable for me!