Monday 28 December 2020

Ornaments

 A number of years ago I started making the grandkids ornaments for the tree. I began when there were four grandkids and went back to the beginning. Only made one for two years, then two, three, then four. For a few years it stayed steady at the four, until we had two babies (cousins) in one year and then finally the seventh.

I went against my initial inspiration, to make each set on a theme, and went with copies of each ornament each given year. The idea was that when those children grew up and moved away from home, they would have ornaments for their first ‘adult’ tree with, hopefully, some memories attached.

These ornaments do not necessarily fit into whatever theme or design my children might have for their tree on any given year. I told them to leave the ornaments boxed and set them aside until the time comes. I would not be upset. I know those ornaments are not my best work, or at least not up to the quality I could achieve today.

I suggested I start over and make each child a set of ornaments designed for each individually. That idea was not received well by the parents. I think they dread that it could get out of control, much like my crocheting does.

Don’t worry guys, I’m still at the pondering stage and have made nothing yet. Don’t say you weren’t warned. 

No comments: