Monday 7 December 2020

Learning to Sew


 I sewed a lot before I moved seven years ago, but since that time it’s  been in the closet and never touched. Until my granddaughter showed an interest. 

I was glad to help her out, and was even going to give her my machine if she showed a sincere interest. 

The first lesson almost never happened as I had no fabric. But then I found a fleece blanket I had purchased for another project that I never started, let alone finished.

We found a hat pattern on line and made a couple of kids hats first. My measurements were off so the hats ended up toddler sized, but cute nonetheless.

When I moved I gave my son, my sewing apprentice’s father, all my stash of fabric to store for me. Last year we sorted through it and downsized from five or six vacuum sealed bags to two.  It’s a good indicator of how much he loves his Mom that he never complained, or badgered me to get rid of it.

I should tell you that I believe in treating my kids equally, which is why my daughter inherited boxes of framed artwork, empty frames and odds and ends of my art work at the time of my move.

My granddaughter took to sewing like a duck to water. Though we had only covered the basics, that seemed to be enough to get her started. I was going to give her my machine, after all I hadn’t seemed to miss it with all the other arts and crafts I do, but my son was reluctant. Rightly so. This little bit of sewing did awaken my love of sewing. I kept my machine and my apprentice got her own. As kids are so skilled in the use of the internet she has found herself many tutorials for sewing projects.

Meanwhile I’ve been making masks and added a sewing element to my Christmas crochet. (More on that later).

It’s been fun sharing this hobby with my granddaughter. She loves all genres of creating, painting, drawing and crochet, so I see many more joint projects in our future.

No comments: