Tuesday 15 December 2020

Pet Therapy

 



I’ve been streaming and frequently watch the videos posted by animal rescue. It is heartwarming to see the animal not only recuperate from their “bad” situation, but to see them thrive, and learn to love, to trust again.

Pets offer unconditional love, are great companions and never hold it against you if you forget to fill the water bowl or arrive home late.

I carry dog treats in my car so the dogs in the family are always glad to see me. At my son’s place, a rural property, the dog barks when I pull in the drive, as any good dog might.  But once I’m recognized he sits by my door in welcome and is good for any amount of petting and ear scratching.

The other family pet is only 10 months old, and very much still an enthusiastic puppy. Energetic and very smart, he remembers the treats and exactly where I keep them. Once in the zippered pocket of my jacket, the next visit he kept poking at that pocket. 

Another time, no jacket, I had the treats in my back pocket.  With bar height chairs he stayed at my side, frequently reminding me there were treats there. Reminded me so well the back of my pants were wet from repeated licking.

Having a pet lie with you, or sit by your side, or even on your feet is comforting. Holding him close, stroking down his back, scratching his ears are all sources of comfort for both animal and human.

I had cats for many years, and they were a constant source of comfort or wellbeing. They could read my moods and seemed to know when I needed their attention or was okay alone.

My daughter got her puppy last February. By early March things were shut down, the kids home from school and the pup was a constant source of amusement during the initial stages of the pandemic. That dog was never really alone and we often talked about what would happen when everyone was back to full activities. Between working from home and changing shifts it never really became a problem. 

The dogs become part of the routine, like any member of the family. Have to pick so and so up from school, from work. Have to get home to let the dog out.

There is a reason long term care facilities have a pet therapy program, or a visiting pet program. Because it works, it makes people feel better.

One of my favourite commercials on television depicts a young girl in a hospital bed. She sees the nurse in the doorway and asks, “more treatment?”.  The nurse replies they are going to try something different and a dog walks in and lays its head on the bed. The absolute joy shown by the little girl is so beautiful.

I can imagine how she feels, I need my own times with the family pets, my own bit of pet therapy. Works every time.


No comments: