Friday 11 December 2020

Grandma by any other Name

 It is possible for a child to have four living grandmothers, so they can be called by many different names to avoid confusion. One set of my grandchildren have a Baba, a Nana and a Nani. The other set has a Baba (which makes that in common name me), a Grandma and a GG (for great grandmother).

I’m third generation Baba, as far as I know. There was my mother, and her mother, and my father’s mother who was differentiated by her name being added, Baba Bessie. I share the title with my sister. Where the name originated, I have no idea.

For more than twenty years I have been called Baba more than I’ve been called by my given name, but I don’t mind, for being a grandmother is a role I cherish.

But it wasn’t unusual that I could be in the middle of a store and hear “Baba,” called out by some child, but not one of my grandchilds lol. That is my identity with many people who know my kids or their offspring.

My oldest grandson has taken to calling me Bob. Maybe, in his newly minted teenage status, Baba was embarrassing, too much like baby talk.  That’s ok, I will answer to anything that is said with love and affection.

No comments: