Sunday 13 December 2020

Spider-Man Sign

 I’ve been watching television and the same advertisement has been shown regularly, animated scenes depicting the Spider-Man character for some new gaming series.

In one particular scene Spider-Man is sitting on the corner of a city rooftop, his hand held out in the position from which he will toss out a web. At least I think that’s what he’s going to do but it’s a guess as I’ve never seen any of the Spider-Man movies or games.

The commercial makes me laugh because my grandson, in his younger days, was a fan of the movie and/or cartoon and often wore his spidey pajamas.

He was such a fan that he found it puzzling that his grandmother was using the same sign as his favourite super hero.

“Why does Baba (me) use the Spider-Man signal?” he asked his Mom.

And I do, whenever I say goodbye to my family. 

It began years ago, when the kids father and I divorced and I would see the kids off for weekends or holidays with their Dad. And when they got older, I would put them on the train to avoid the hours of traffic crossing the city during rush hour.

Our last communication was always signed, in sign language, the sign for I love you. 

🤟 No matter what had been said before, or what might happen during our separation, our final ‘words’ to each other were always an expression of love.

Me and Spider-Man, using the same gesture. If a web ever spews from my fingertips, spider or not, I’m going to be greatly annoyed and I may be forced to search the sign language alphabet for another sign.

No comments: