Sunday 19 June 2016

The Birthday Cake

The day before his birthday, my grandson was excited, knowing his Mom and I were going to be, not baking, more assembling, his birthday cake. He had very specific ideas for what he wanted. Damn that YouTube, it gives these kids too much knowledge, and raises their expectations.

Because the picture he'd seen had chocolate syrup, sprinkles and a sugar cone, we made one smaller cake and decorated it just for him.




Of course, I think my peanut butter sauce makes all the difference. You can't beat the combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

I'm sharing the recipe, but it comes with a warning...it tastes great all by itself and it's hard to open the fridge and not have a taste. You can find all sorts of ways to use it, on ice cream, dipping cookies, and my daughter likes it on bananas. Enjoy.

In a small saucepan combine:  3/4 cup peanut butter
                                                  1/4 cup light corn syrup
                                                  1/4 cup half and half (I use coffee creamer, 50/50 with water)        
                                                  2 Tbsp butter or margarine
Cook over medium heat, just until margarine melts and mixture is smooth, remove from heat.
Stir in 1/4 cup powdered sugar, beat until smooth and creamy.
Cool completely.


No comments: