Thursday 18 April 2013

Purge

  
Purge v to rid of people or things considered undesirable or
             harmful.

This is one of the meanings of purge, according to The Oxford Paperback Dictionary, 1988 Edition.

Why am I using a 1988 edition of a dictionary, you ask? Because I hoard books, never throw anything out, and have a sentimental attachment to this particular copy. I bought this dictionary for my son, and it didn’t move out of the house when he did.

There are certain times of the year that lean toward purging activities. I think of the fall as a time of new beginning. The summer is over, school starts once again, along with all the activities that have been on hold for the previous two months.

Remember the movie ‘You’ve Got Mail’?” There’s a scene where the character, played by Tom Hanks, goes on about autumn, buying school supplies, new pencils or something.

I always liked that part, as I feel the same about the fall season. I like getting back into the normal routine, I like the change of season, coloured leaves and layered clothing. And I like to organize my place with a mini purge.

I put away the summer clothes, get rid any accumulated junk, and prepare to be busy. All the clubs start meeting regularly, there are courses and events to attend, and life begins anew.

I do another mini purge after the Christmas holiday. It seems to fit in with the packing away of Christmas decorations, finding a spot for gifts received, and like the fall, settling back into preholiday routines.

But now it’s spring, time for the big purge. Spring Cleaning!




I love you, Mom, but you would
be the first to admit you weren’t
much of a housekeeper.

My mother was an artist,
and I learned from the best,
how not to clean.

My childhood was spent in the city, but when I married and moved to a small town I learned what spring cleaning was all about.

Man, these country women can clean.

I’ll admit, at my age, I’ve reverted to my old ways. I even have fridge magnets to support my position.

Everyone should have a fridge magnet to support their life views.

Yet my faith in my magnets is being sorely tested. I have too many unfinished projects, too many craft supplies, and too much, dare I say it, paper.

 
Clutter n 1. things lying about untidily, 2. a crowded untidy state.

Clutter is a state if mind. All the things we do not use, or do not wear…but keep, in case they might come in handy one day, constitutes clutter.

You know the stuff…inherited objects or gifts you feel guilty about parting with, useless kitchen gadgets, clothes we might ‘one day’ wear again, and books.

According to Feng Shui, clutter represents stagnant energy. I have to admit this is true as I look about my place. I see three out of five blown light bulbs in the bathroom, scum marks on the tub, and dirty dishes on the counter.

It would only require a few minutes of my time to attend to any of these chores, yet I’ve let them sit. And I want to start spring cleaning?

The burden of all this ‘stuff’ is wearing me down, but I will get the job done this time.
I have purpose.

Purpose n objective; intention; aim; function; 
                 resolution; determination.

I need to start with something small, like a drawer or kitchen cupboard. And here’s the biggie, I need to complete that task before moving on.

One day at a time.

Hey, I think I have a fridge magnet that says that. 

3 comments:

S. L. Hennessy said...

I seriously need to start purging my apartment (especially since I'm moving soon). Ugh. It's so hard to do sometimes.

Happy A to Z blogging.
pensuasion.blogspot.com

Midweek Musimg said...

Ugh, is right to the idea of moving. That's why this was such an appropriate topic.

Blogger's Brother said...

I think it's wrong to be hard on yourself for keeping the things you do, especially if you are genetically predisposed to do so. I remember sleeping on a cot in our grandfathers art room in Ohio. That man kept everything! But, mind you, it was fairly organized. He gave those genetic qualities to Mom and she passed them on to us. So, you see, it's not our fault!