Monday 1 April 2013

In the Beginning-the a-z challenge


The April A-Z Challenge

I’ve decided to base my daily A-Z blogs on a theme. Do you remember the 1965 movie ‘The Sound of Music’? Of course you do, the scenery, the music; it was always a holiday favourite in my house.

I loved the song ‘My Favourite Things’. You know the one, “raindrops on rainbows and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens”.

My theme for April’s A-Z is My Favourite Things.


A    All You Can Eat Buffets

Years ago there was a family restaurant in Toronto called Sunshines. It was the go-to place when I wanted to take the kids out for dinner, for something other than a fast food hamburger.

They had a fantastic salad bar that could be added to the cost of an entre, or ordered as a meal. My kids loved salads and this buffet had everything you could possibly want, and guaranteed you would never leave hungry.

I remember the first time, and the look on the kids’ faces when I said they could have whatever, and as much, as they wanted. For the price of $3.99, I got more bang for my buck than anywhere else.

I think part of the thrill was going back again and again, getting one item at a time. After they’d had their first plate, that was the meal portion, they would get bowls of yogourt or sunflower seeds.

One offering that they really loved was that salad made with whipped cream, pineapple, Mandarin oranges, coconut and marshmallows. Ambrosia, I think it’s called, and it's still a family favourite that I make for special occasions.

As they got a little older and their tastes changed, we tried a different kind of buffet. Going out for Chinese food became our New Year’s tradition. The restaurant we tried was a bit more formal than our usual fare.

“There won’t be any paper place mats to colour,” I told them. “We won’t rush through dinner but will take our time and have some conversation.”

We had no sooner been seated at the table when my son got up and walked to my side. I was immediately annoyed, thinking all my previous discussion had gone in one ear and out the other.

Before I could say anything, he placed his arm across my shoulders, looked me in the eye and said, “So, what would you like to talk about?”

Art Linkletter was right. Kids say the darnedest things.

No comments: