Friday 22 April 2016

Steak Marinade



One thing I’ve really missed these last few years is a barbecue. I do love a hamburger or hot dog hot off the grill, but there is nothing like a steak.

I wasn’t the only one who missed outdoor cooking. At the last place I lived we had hot dogs and hamburgers after the annual meeting, but it was only when a group of us decided to get together to have a steak night that I got to satisfy that taste.

There are different cuts of steak, and I love a flank steak, especially after it’s been marinated. The following recipe I say is my brother’s, though it would be his wife who did all the prep work; he had the manly chore of watching over the barbecue.

Now that I’ve thought about this, I’ll have to declare a steak night with the family, and make this recipe I saved from my sister-in-law.

Steak Marinade
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup olive oil
3 TBs cider vinegar
3 TBs brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste.

Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Puncture steak surface with fork in a shallow pan. Pour marinade over steak and let stand for at least one hour.

If you like a steak sandwich, grill the steaks until desired doneness, let stand 5 minutes and then cut diagonally across grain into strips.

Worcestershire Mayo Sauce

2 TBs mayonnaise
1 tsp whole grain mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove of garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Sauce can be spread on bread or a roll, layered with strips of steak and cooked in a 375 degree oven until heated through.

I once said something about about missing the taste of barbecue and a man in the group gave me a smug smile and said he cooks on his all winter, by pulling the barbecue onto the deck outside his back door. I bet there were a number of nights at 14 below C he decided oven grilled would do just fine. This last winter, I bet he grilled plenty.


1 comment:

betty said...

Always delicious to have a steak on the BBQ :)

betty