Wednesday 16 March 2016

Levels of Genius

When I have a problem with my laptop, I call my daughter. As a matter of fact, when my old laptop died on me, I sent my daughter to the store to make the purchase. She knew what I wanted, and all I had to do was pick it up and pay.

She's smarter than me, as she put a virus protector on this one, which is beneficial with the amount of time I'm on the internet.

I'm always surprised when the grandkids are here and want to use the laptop, that they know exactly what games they want to play, and how to access them. Experts already.

My neighbor is 88 years old, and just purchased her first laptop, which happens to be the same as mine. I saw her coming my way yesterday, and when I opened the door, she had a sheepish look on her face.

I find it funny that she comes to me for assistance with her computer problems. Though I did help her with Facebook, and set her up with some nice photos for her profile. Also helped with her E Mail, in setting up folders, and I don'y even want to start on our playtime on Pinterest.

She uses E Mail and plays games more than anything else, but I can tell she's getting a bit more adventurous with the new laptop than she was before. That was why she had come looking for help. She had tried to watch a program on the internet, and couldn't get out of it.

She couldn't find an X to close.

I went over, and she was right, there was a screen, frozen, asking for passwords or such, and I couldn't figure out how to close it either.

I used my tried and true method, and shut down the computer, though I'm not sure that's really for the best. But it worked, got her off that frozen screen and she was good to go.

I think she's had a few other issues that she's tried to deal with on her own, and was so frustrated that she had called the store where she bought her laptop, and got no response. Yesterday, she was about ready to toss it out the window.

I wish my computer genius would drop by, I can't seem to get the new laptop to talk to my printer. These darn machines, they can be so temperamental.



1 comment:

betty said...

I heard or read somewhere that kids nowadays are natives when it comes to technology; they have grown up with it; it is part of their lives. We older people are immigrants to it. It wasn't part of our lives, often not until we were in our 20s, 30s, and even older, so we have a bit more problem trying to adapt to it and learn it. I admire your mom to "take the plunge" and get a computer. Hubby's mom would do the same when she was alive; would try to figure out things and then have one of her sons try to figure out what she did wrong. I'm so technology challenged, but do enjoy the opportunity it all provides.

betty