Tuesday 29 April 2014

Y is for Yarn


My feelings about crochet are similar to my feelings about New Year’s resolutions. Good intentions, but doomed for failure. I convinced myself not to buy more yarn unless it’s for a particular project, and I’ve done pretty well with that. But there’s this other thing I was determined to do, and that was to use up all the bits and pieces of yarn that have been left over from other projects. I have a large pink bin full of all that kind of yarn.

I found a pretty crocheted jacket pattern on line that is made in hexagon granny-style blocks and sewn together. The centre of each block is like a flower, edged with black. .I need to look at my stash and see what colour combinations I have. But the thing is, I would probably have to buy more yarn to make the colours blend well, and I’d definitely have to buy the black. So, not exactly a stash busting project.

I have managed to use up a fair bit of my yarn. I’ve been making hats, ladybug, zebra and baby bear hats. I’ve made hats and scarves, hats and mitts and just plain hats. It was like binge crochet. I was going fast and furious and then I hit a wall, and needed a break.

But I’m baaack. I just made covers for the cushions on my couch, a baby gift for a friend and yes, I bought yarn for a project for next Christmas.

I looked in my knitting bag and saw the vest I made my son for last Christmas, The knitting is all done; it just needs to be sewn together. This kind of project is much like anything else. Once you step away from it, you lose the momentum, and it’s very difficult to get back at it.

If I got it finished, hey, I could set it aside until next Christmas and I’d have a start on my shopping. That gives me nine months to get it done. Spring is bound to come eventually, and he doesn’t really need a sweater vest in this warm weather, right” Excuses, excuses, excuses.

I’m going to be like the little engine that could. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Whatever.

1 comment:

Jemima Pett said...

I love your simile! Yarn and new year's resolutions :)

Looking over your words for the month I wish I'd found you sooner - but never mind - I can always come back!

Jemima
#TeamDamyanti
Blogging from Alpha to Zulu in April