Thursday 24 April 2014

U is for Underwear


A recent trip to the Emergency Department reminded me of some old story, or mother’s advice or whatever, something about always wearing clean underwear in case you got hit with a bus. Like you should never get caught with dirty drawers, silly, right?
 
But it got me thinking about the state of my underwear, and I decided it was looking a little shabby and in need of replacement. So, the next time I was in the department store I decided to remedy that sad situation.

Facing a wall of packaged underpants was enlightening. Who knew there were so many varieties? Briefs, Hi-Cuts, Bikinis, Boyshorts and let’s not forget…the Thong. I got frustrated looking for my size and style and went home empty handed.

Next trip I had better success; it seemed the shelves had been restocked and I easily made my selection.

At home I removed my purchase from the plastic bag and read the laundry code on the back. Machine wash cold. Understandable, as the garment was 100% cotton and would shrink if washed in hot water. Do not bleach. Tumble dry low. Again, 100% cotton; and normal precautions.

But the Low iron and Do not dry clean instructions just blew me away.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, I hear there are people who iron everything. They must have a lot of time on their hands.

Who knew shopping for underwear could be so complicated?

 

 

No comments: