Friday 26 February 2016

Lily, the House Guest



Lily, my visiting animal house guest has settled in. My daughter reassured me she was a timid dog and wouldn't wander, but I wasn't so sure as I believe in a natural curiosity. I have a collar and leash for her, just to be on the safe side.

Last night it was cold, and the wind was blowing something fierce. I thought a trip outside was in order before we called it a night, and as it was dark, didn't think she'd go far. She also didn't pee.

When I got up to the bathroom about three A.M., Lily stood at the door, staring at me, until I let her out and found myself standing outside while she did her business. I noticed my neighborhood is really quiet at night.

This morning I gave her breakfast and figured she could do with a trip outside, a little exercise. I had purchased a throw toy and tossed it out into the corner of the backyard, shared by four of us on the court. Lily ran to the toy and right on past, then she hurried around the yard checking everything out.

She was off the leash and I was concerned she might run out into the court, but she stayed close, and as she doesn't seem to understand the concept of toss and return, watched me 'fetch' that new toy.

I remembered from my old doggy days that there is a cause and affect reflex in dogs. If you feed them, they'll have to poop soon after. Lily reminded me of this when she stood at the door, again staring at me until I got the message.

I got to try out the cute little dog waste bags that come in a roll in a small container. Cute, and a handy idea. I picked up the pie of poop in the bag, tied it off and started a garbage bag of waste in my outdoor bin. Good thing it's cold out.

We're now warm and cozy inside, Lily asleep on the rug and me resting in the chair. So far, so good.



1 comment:

betty said...

She seems really well trained if she lets you know when she needs to go outside to take care of her business :)

betty