Friday 5 February 2016

Blackout Territory



It had to happen, and it wasn’t as if I hadn’t had plenty of warning. My laptop crashed, the dreaded death screen, all black, nada, nothing.

The first day I felt like I was in withdrawal, restless and jittery. I didn’t know what to do with myself. No Emails to check, no Facebook, no Pinterest, and no games. It was an eye opening experience as to how much time I spent on those sites, frequently bouncing from one to the other at different times throughout the day.

I knew I should have taken the laptop in to have it checked, for some virus or whatever, but that meant I’d be without it, and yet, there I was without it anyway.

Of course, now that I was without the computer, I had the urge to write, and was doing so longhand. I wrote a number of blog posts, and will edit, and add them over time.

I picked up my new laptop on Tuesday, and faced the irritating task of entering all my favorite sites, updating my Favorites List. That meant digging out all those web addresses and my passcodes. And connecting to the internet.

I faced my first challenge, being unable to connect to the internet. The laptop said I was connected, that the problem was between the modem and the laptop. How could this be? What could it be?

I ended up calling my provider and they checked, and made the connection. Isn’t it amazing how that works? So, I’m back in business. I like to think I learned a lesson and will keep an eye on my online time.


It was more than a virus, the old laptop was done, not able to be repaired, but just in case, I have an anti-virus program on the new one. Another lesson learned. 

2 comments:

Susan Kane said...

I basically have a love/hate relationship with computers.

Midweek Musimg said...

For sure. I'm struggling to get the hang of this new one. Everything is just enough different to be a problem. But I'll persevere until I get used to it.