Wednesday 9 December 2015

The Quality of Television

I know I don’t have the classiest taste in television shows, not a lot of History Channel or National Geographic in my viewing. But this morning, while lazing in bed (I seem to do a lot of that) I was flipping through the channels and was amazed at the number of shows offered that are, well, in my lowly opinion, crap.

And I realize that sounds strange from this admitted crime show junkie. I have the television on for background noise, and watch/listen to crime shows one after another. And as I write murder stories, maybe I’m the strange one.

I just don’t get some of these reality shows as they seem to highlight the worst of our society. I know my crime shows are too often based in reality, but they are made up, make believe, a well-crafted story.

I suppose you could say the same for the reality shows as there are many made up parts, for the drama, for the ratings.

There was this show I saw on the listing today, ‘Lauren Lake’s Paternity’. It was about a man demanding a paternity test for the child he has with his fiancée, as he felt she’d cheated on him and he wanted his ring back. Much the same kind of show as Jerry Springer, Maury, and the Steves...Wilkos and Harvey.

Then there are the court shows...here comes the judge. Judge  Mathis, Judge Judy and Justice with Judge Mablean.

Self help, there’s Doctor Oz and Doctor Phil.

And the talk shows...The View, The Chat, The Talk and The Social. Also the ones with one headliner like Ellen Degeneres, Meredith Vierra and Wendy Williams, not to forget the most famous of all Oprah.

If I don’t stick with my crime shows I go to a happier place like the Food Network for all that cooking or HGTV for home and decorating.

I suppose all these reality shows are examples for people to grab their five minutes of fame, but does it have to come because they lie, and cheat and aim to win all cost.


But, I get it. Sex sells. Why else would there be a show called ‘Naked Dating’?

No comments: