Thursday 12 February 2015

Certificate of Appreciation


I recently had my hair cut, something that was long overdue. Wearing it long was not a choice because of style, it was more out of self neglect and a lack of caring. It was easier to just pull it into a ponytail and be done than to worry about blow drying and styling.

I would see other woman my age, with a similar hair-do, and wonder if they didn’t care about themselves, as I didn’t, and it made me sad, and made me want to change. So I decided to surprise my family last Christmas and have my hair cut, right before our holiday get-together.

It didn’t immediately go over well because my daughter was giving me a gift certificate at one of the better salons for Christmas. I reassured her that the gift was appreciated and would be used, because, hey, funny thing about hair, it keeps growing.

What’s that old saying, about the difference between a good haircut and a bad... about three weeks.

My ponytail ended up being about 12 inches long, a surprise for me because I never wore my hair down. I decided to donate it to charity.



I chose to send my hair to “A Child’s Voice Foundation’s Angel Hair for Kids Program”. They provide wigs and hair loss solutions to financially disadvantaged children who have lost their hair due to a medical condition or treatment.


I think this effort will be a feel good thing and improve the self-esteem of both the giver and the recipient.

1 comment:

Joshrachel said...

A feel good thing....the pay it forward....