Wednesday 31 December 2014

Happy New Year



So, another year comes to an end. I’m glad I didn’t make a big list of New Year’s resolutions for 2014, for I would be doomed to failure. My list is a mental exercise, at any rate. Maybe this year will be different, and yet, I have to say that I have had some successes this past year.
Writing
I finished the book I titled “Where the Forest Meets the Corn”, that I started to write last January, 1st draft at least. I have four other books available for Kindle on Amazon and made some sales, and had a good response to the free book give-away that also garnered more sales.

I started a second blog, Scattered Thoughts and Stumbles, where I feel I can talk about my MS and the challenges faced with having such a disease and an increasing disability. It was the outlet I needed to be able to keep writing, both fiction and this blog. It allowed me to write the kind of blog I originally intended...my funny and often quirky outlook on life and the world around me.

Creative Works

Not so good here, unless you consider crochet as a work of art. I’ve crocheted up a storm, especially for Christmas. Stockings and slippers for everyone, a couple of sweaters, lots of hats and mittens. I already have my notes made for next year; it’s never too early to start.

I miss my art table, as that one spot where I could leave art work in progress. I have one small table, and since I moved, it has become a collect-all space. I don’t think in the year and a half I’ve been here that it’s ever been clear.

I did start a painting, but as I worked on it at the kitchen counter, where I had access to the sink and could sit on my stool, it got set aside so I could use the kitchen for what it was intended. Hey, a girl’s got to eat.

I now have a new idea for some art and am in the mulling stage. I have some notes made but the rest is thinking and planning. The juried art show at the local art gallery is in early February, so no excuses for missing the deadline. I have entered this same show, not every year, but many times, since 1987. I can say with pride, that if I entered, I never missed a show. Entry is limited to four pieces and I have always had at least one piece accepted. We’ll see what happens this year.

I did paint a pair of Minion shoes for my brother, size thirteen, and saw him actually wear them when we met for lunch. Granted that was in a town far removed from where he lives. Maybe they don’t get worn very often, ( it’s so difficult to find a coordinating outfit) but painting them, and seeing the surprised expression on his face made it worth all the effort.

As the New Year approaches I can look back at the year with good feelings. My daughter is engaged to a wonderful man, and my son and daughter-in-law eloped and made their 10+ year relationship a more official one. So, I can say that seeing my kids this happy has made it a banner year.

Whether it’s the change in my health status, or the fact that I am more content, more accepting, the kids have been even more supportive and we’ve reached a new level of understanding. This might be interpreted as my learning to ask for and accept help.


I see nothing but good things for the coming year, and wish the same for all of you. When the clock strikes twelve, take a sip of your drink and consider it a toast from me.

No comments: