Monday 8 December 2014

Christmas Stockings



Years ago, seven years to be exact, I made everyone in the family a Christmas stocking. For my daughter’s family they were rag quilted, with button and bead trim. For my son’s family they were brown camo fleece with a cream coloured crocheted band on the top. There was a matching beaded trim, with each person’s name in alphabet beads.

I thought it was a nice gesture, and they appreciated it until they each did something to ruin it. They each had another child, one boy and one girl, now six years old. I didn’t have the fabric to make another, so the idea of coordinating stockings was lost.

I decided to make new stockings this year and found a great crocheted pattern and have completed 11 of these stockings, five for my son’s gang and six for my daughter’s. Every person in their respective family unit has a different colour.

My son has sage green, medium blue, navy blue, dusty rose and pale purple. My daughter got hunter green, dark purple, turquoise, red, dusty rose and pale purple. What can I say? The girls in our family are very into pink and purple, so I had to repeat.

I found great tags at Michaels Craft Store, made out of canvas, tea stained and with a grommet. So every stocking has the person’s name on it. It was a lot of work but worth it as this year has been a year of change for my family. My son and daughter-in-law eloped, making their 11 year relationship official, and my single Mom daughter got engaged.


No matter how you look at it, Christmas this year is full of happiness and joy.

No comments: