Wednesday 24 March 2021

Flying Fish

 I have a new project all laid out on the table and find my creativity blocked. Or maybe it’s more a bit of fear of the unknown. 

So, of course, I start playing on my iPad to avoid getting started.  One bit of this was looking through my photos. I came upon a couple of pictures I’d taken at the local arena. 

It’s been many years since this community centre was built, with its gymnasiums, its meeting rooms, the seniors centre and of course the two ice pads. 

When you enter from the back parking lot there is a spacious lobby area, with a wide stairway leading to the upper level of the arena. The landing has glass doors that open to the walking/running track that surrounds the arena seating. This is also where the elevator opens.

The town was very involved in the building of this community centre, in decisions made and in fundraising. One project that was a call out to the community was the flying fish.

The fish are handcrafted creations by people in the community. They are strung across the ceiling in this back lobby area and are at eye level if you’re on the landing by the elevator. I think it’s a wonderful statement that the building belongs to everyone, not just the skaters on the ice.





No comments: