Saturday 6 March 2021

Expressions

 Two of my granddaughters were here last week. I was sitting on my kitchen stool and regaled them with a near miss I’d had. I was sitting on the stool, bending over for something in the cupboard when the stool started sliding backwards, off the mat and across the wood floor.

“It really moved on the floor,” I laughed. “If not for the chair I backed into I would have been ‘ass over teakettle’ and on the floor”.

My youngest granddaughter was stunned. “What?” 

I guess she’d never heard me say that before, yet it’s one of my favourite expressions.

And speaking of colourful expressions. Have any of you ever heard of Zach Rushing?

He’s from Mississippi, from the South where all communication is full of the most descriptive and very entertaining idioms. He does videos on Facebook though he’s often been in Facebook jail, as he calls it, for his language. He admits he has no filter.  But I find him most enjoyable as his take on topics like the difference between men and women really make me laugh. 

I like how he says someone dulls his shine, when they put him in a bad mood.

Another I liked was “If you’re going to come at me to put your two cents in, I’m going to come back at you with a quarter”.

Talking to someone like that would keep you on your toes, all that elaboration could make one confused.

No comments: