Wednesday 3 March 2021

Everything in Threes

 I am a firm believer that everything comes in threes.  Well, maybe not kids because I only had two, but lots of other things out in the universe. Ask any nurse and they will probably agree. Threes, every time. 

Some things are just strange, and I’ve seen enough to be a believer.  Like strange events during a full moon, but that’s a whole other issue. 

Back to threes.  I’m no longer working so don’t experience the three, second hand, so to speak. Now the three rule is up close and personal.

Like the fall of 2019. I fell in November and broke my tailbone. Lost my balance in the bathroom and landed very heavy on toilet (#2). Then just before New Years I fell again. So I thought I was done, over, going to meet the new year free from that number three hanging over my head.

Nope, no way, not in the cards. I fell again on New Years Eve, face forward this time giving my poor tailbone some relief. But this time I was badly bruised all down my left side which scared my kids when I finally owned up and showed them. In the back of my mind I have to wonder if the next two will be more serious, because I firmly believed there would be more.

Number two occurred in the bathroom which I think is the most dangerous room in the home.  I wasn’t hurt but did make a mess as I knocked the shelf into the tub and everything went flying. Same room, I lost my balance and again hit the wall and rebounded to the toilet, missing the floor.

This time I had to be done, and oddly enough I was. Who knows, not me for sure, why I fell so many times in such a relative short time since I have not fallen since.

But the weird threes have still been happening. 

I make an instant breakfast drink every morning. My routine is to make my coffee, pour my juice, add the vile tasting stuff I take to it, and make my drink in the little blender.  I bought this piece of kitchen equipment because it was small and the blender part comes off and becomes a travel mug. Not that I travel, but it means one piece, one less glass to wash. 

There’s no variable speed and the button is right in front, just push it and it goes. Do you see what’s coming? I’m doing my routine but accidentally moved something on the counter, that hit the ON button, before I’d put the lid on, that whirled that milk all over my counter. What a mess.

I’m not so superstitious that I immediately begin counting when something like this happens. I only start the count with number two.

Because of my MS I can’t sit up for long periods. So after being up in the daytime I go to bed early in the evening. I live in a studio type apartment so my bed is like a couch to me. I have my iPad, my books, and my crochet. So I settle in for an evening of television with my bottle of Pepsi and am good to go.

Except that I got tired of taking the cap on and off and just left it off. And proceeded to knock the bottle which then emptied into the open drawer of my bedside table.  Caught it all, not a single drop on the floor. Lucky for me I had a organizer in that drawer, and each section was full, my carefully stored, nice and handy items floating in pop.

As spills go that was easier to clean up than the blender mishap.  Now I’m counting. One more to go.

Sitting up in bed, or semi reclined as is more often the case, is not conducive to drinking from a cup or glass. I drink water from a bottle, as I do my Pepsi. I try to avoid those cups and glasses because I tend to make a mess when it dribbles out the side. I need to add mug to that list.

I have suffered from a bad back for decades. Before this pandemic hit I was laid up, had sciatica and so much pain I could barely walk. The walker I used outside I had to use inside, even as small as my place is. At that time I also had a bedside rail installed to help me get in and out of bed.

(My back pain is so much better that I have to think that the falls and that broken tailbone actually did a readjustment of my spine lol).

I kept the bedside rail as it’s handy to lean my iPad against when I’m crocheting and watching a movie on prime.

Number three.  I had a coffee and was sitting in my chair, but needed to reference the crochet pattern on the iPad which was charging by the bed. I picked up the coffee and moved over to the bed. I’m reading the pattern and casually picked up my coffee, and not really paying attention, failed to clear the bedside rail, thereby dumping said coffee into the bed. This was a make work project as I got the sheets, the comforter and me. Still not a drop on the floor. 

It’s such a relief to get that trio of happenings done, and to feel pretty secure that I have no new countings on the go. 

Everything happens in threes, so beware. 


No comments: