Wednesday 10 February 2021

My Prickly Friend

 A few minutes ago I found myself apologizing to my prickly cactus. I was saying how sorry I was that I had not watered it, and thanked it for the ‘sharp’ reminder when I accidentally touched it.

Having a green thumb is not something I can lay claim to, inside or out. I always blamed the cats. Can’t have potted plants when the cats dig in the dirt. The fact that my gardening consists of periods of drought followed by a flood is immaterial.  

But my little cactus has lasted years. It sits on the table beside my chair and gets water when I think of it and the water is handy.

Maybe the plants are adapting to my ways, because the beautiful potted plant I got last Mother’s Day lasted through the summer heat right into fall. I was amazed, as a May gift of flowers never lasted beyond the August heat.

Times they are a changing.


No comments: