Tuesday 2 February 2021

Lockdown continues

 We are still in a level of lockdown even though the kids have gone back to school in real time.  I know it’s been hard on them as kids are usually social animals and being home for an unknown length of time is hard on them, social media or not.

I am a solitary person, always have been, but even I miss real face to face interactions. I’m fortunate I have my family close enough to visit, even if it is just for a few minutes when delivering groceries or some other item I might be in need of.

Texting has replaced phone conversations and today when my cellphone rang I didn’t know what it was. My daughter was picking me up a few groceries in the store in her town, a store with great deals this week. She called from the store for verification on a few items, then called again as she made her way through the store 

After that I got to thinking and realized it’s been more than a year since I’ve been in a grocery store. Last winter I had my groceries delivered and have continued to use that service ever since. A few times in the summer I grocery shopped on line and did a curb pickup. It was nice sitting in the car with the windows down, the summer breeze blowing through, the sun warm on my skin. 

I miss looking at the variety of products on the store shelves, and being able to makes my choice. Often I knew products by sight rather than by name so rely heavily on weekly flyers for my selections. Online shopping sounds like it would be easier but there are too many choices and it’s tiresome to skip back and forth comparing prices, sizes and manufacturers.

When this ends (wishful thinking) and life returns to a new normal I don’t feel my life will change much. I’m afraid my tendency to be a loner has deepened almost to a fear of going out. I have everything I need here, all my books, my crafts, television plus my iPad which gives me the internet.  

Maybe it’s just winter that makes me feel that way. Our road is partially snow covered and it’s an added struggle to go out, pushing the walker I use for balance and support and hoping to hell I don’t fall. When spring comes, and it can’t be soon enough, I’ll probably feel different the first time I can sit in the sun and breathe the fresh air. 

Six more weeks, I think that’s what the groundhog predicted. I can manage that. I have a number of projects to finish before spring. 

No comments: