Tuesday 23 February 2021

Letting Loose my Mad

 I know my life must seem incredibly boring. I live alone during a pandemic, when we are directed to stay home. For the most part, I can handle that as I have my crafts and my books, and television.

My TV is always on even though I don’t always pay a lot of attention to it. For daytime hours it’s on the same station all day, the Discovery Channel. Not my usual as I’m a crime fan but it works.

The crime shows I watch are two back to back episodes of old CSI New York.  I realized as I caught myself giving my opinion, out loud, that I miss having that sharing conversation about issues from what ever show or movie I’m watching.

Most often it’s just a show, and other times it’s emotional impact is best discussed to relieve that emotion.

To better understand I’ll give you a quick overview. High school teacher is murdered in the science lab during a dance. Students phones are gathered and the computer geek on the team renders all those photos into a panoramic of the gym. The teacher is caught leaving the gym with a male student. 

They question the police chief’s daughter as she has had many meetings with said teacher, has had a drastic change in her behaviour and is seen at the dance.

Her father is irate she is questioned and interferes, not allowing her to be involved. But she is involved and they question her further. She asks to speak to the female detective and wants her father out of the room. 

You can probably guess what she has to say.  The assumption that the teacher had crossed the line was wrong. It was the student the teacher had followed out of the gym. 

Turns out the student was not 18 but a very young looking 28, and was smart enough to ace high school, both socially and scholastically.

He and the pervert acting as his father were a team, raping high school girls. Girls that dated the fake high schooler, were drugged by him before the team committed their crime. The girls had only vague memories due to the drug and were too embarrassed and shamed to come forward.

Back to the cop’s daughter. She didn’t want what happened to her to happen to another girl, and had seen the ‘boy’ put something in her drink. She tells the teacher, he and the boy go to the science lab where the team of rapists kill him. 

Our girl confesses all to the detective and they bring that criminal team in for questioning.  The police have them cold.  Their fingerprints show they are repeat offenders, and they show no remorse for their actions. 

Suddenly a shot is heard and everyone rushes down the hall to find the police chief has shot and killed the young man who raped his daughter. End of show.

And I am left with all this emotion and no one to release it all to.  So I thought of you guys so here goes.

That father is so selfish. Does he not realize that what he just did will add to the stress his daughter feels. She needs her father’s love and support but will be denied because the jerk will be in jail for murder.

He thinks he avenging her rape, but he’s not. He’s flexing his cop ego. His daughter was attacked and he knew nothing. All his experience as a cop did not clue him into the fact that there had to be a precipitating event that caused the change in his daughter’s behaviour. Was he not paying attention?

I think his ego made him do it. How dare that punk ruin his fantasy of his happy family. How dare he go after a cop’s kid. He makes me so mad I needed to work out why, and set it aside. 

We all want our children to grow up safe, to be successful, to lead happy and productive lives.  There’s a sort of pride in that, as if their accomplishments mean we, as parents, have done a good job and can rest easy. But it doesn’t always happen that way, and just to let you know, if you haven’t figured it out by now, parenting never ends.

This poor girl, (and yes I know it’s fiction, but all fiction is based on reality somewhere) must deal with that very personal attack that will affect her sense of self, her trust in others, her safety. And now, on top of that, she will carry the burden, the guilt, of her father’s actions. He has added to her trauma, and destroyed the family and any sense of safety and belonging she had there.

So he was an insensitive jerk, who killed that young man to satisfy his ego, with no thought to his future, the future of his family or the needs of his daughter. That’s why I was mad 

I feel better now I got that out of my system. Thanks for listening. 

No comments: