Thursday 27 October 2016

Simply Happy...A Chicken Soup for the Soul Publication

A short time ago I was asked to review the new book published by 'Chicken Soup for the Soul'. The book was titled "Simply Happy" and was written by the new editor Amy Newmark.

I will admit, when I received the book I was not in the best frame of mind, for sure not feeling happy, simple or otherwise. So I set the book aside.

Before I go on, let me give you a bit of history.

Chicken Soup for the Soul was started by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen. In 2009 they were ready to move on, to hand over their baby to new owners who would continue their legacy.

The new owners were Amy Newmark and her husband Bill.

Bill took over the legal and financial end, while Amy became editor. To begin, she immersed herself in the stories previously published and she admits the process changed her. She says in the introduction that she became " more compassionate and less judgmental; more grounded and grateful for everything...; and way more knowledgeable about what makes people tick."

Basically, her crash course in Chicken Soup for the Soul was a journey. And now she wants to share that journey and all that she's learned by introducing the reader to the stories that changed her life, and the people that wrote them.

This is a self help book, different for sure, because the tips and advice come from many sources.

The chapters are short, the stories fun and easy to read. It's not the usual 101 stories based on a theme that you have come to expect from Chicken Soup for the Soul, but it has the same energy, the same positive feeling.

I almost read the book in one sitting, finally having to put it down because it was late into the night. As I read, I recognized things that mirrored my own life, or the life of a loved one. There were chapters I immediately wanted to share, as the words so clearly expressed my feelings or thoughts.

It's a good read, and aptly titled "Simply Happy'. It's  "A Crash Course in Chicken Soup for the Soul Advice and Wisdom."

Worked for me, my mood has been much better, and brighter, despite the cold and gloomy days. I only regret I let it sit on the table for so long.

Want a good read that will make you laugh, make you think, then this is it. I highly recommend it.

No comments: