Wednesday 22 January 2014

When a Tree Falls in the Forest


There’s some age old question…If a tree falls in the forest, and there’s no one there to hear, does it make a sound?

I’ve probably screwed that up, and I don’t know why that phrase came to mind right now. I think it’s because I got to thinking about how people behave when they think they’re not being observed.

This came to mind tonight as I was trying to relax after dinner, a meal that was not sitting well. I needed some relief, and as I’m here alone, I let out with a loud belch. I figured there was no sense in trying to be polite and hold it down to a lady like burp. But what was so funny was that I said “Excuse me,” afterwards. Like the empty room was going to be offended by an eruption of gas.

I’m so Canadian, eh?

This got me thinking, about what we do when we think we’re alone, how different we behave. Remember that old Candid Camera show, where people were unknowingly caught on camera? There was a reason it was popular, we can do strange things when no one’s watching.

I’ve had this thought before, on the drive home from my daughter’s place. The side road I take meets the main road at a T intersection. There’s a light there to direct traffic, and I often have to sit at that light, waiting for the green so I can turn left. It’s an isolated intersection, commercial/industrial to the right, farmland to the left; and open land directly ahead.

It’s often crossed my mind, as I’ve sat there, waiting, wondering. Would anyone see if I turned left on the red? Traffic is very light; in fact I’ve been at the intersection many times and never seen another car.

I have that thought, but I have never been brave enough to ignore the rules. For all I know there are traffic cams waiting for just such behaviour, and, I admit, I’m not one for breaking the rules.

That said, I must confess. I have turned right when the posted sign says No Right Turn On Red. Okay, I’ve broken the law, arrest me. LOL

I’ve realized just lately, that I swear out loud, and very rudely, here in my humble abode. This usually occurs when I have a problem with my computer, or in response to something on television. I don’t say the expected F word, as you might have thought, but something I think is just as nasty and crude. Starts with a C and ends with an R, ten letters. Enough said.

Living alone allows me to say and do as I please. I kind of like it.

It’s why I like driving in the car, I can swear, I can yell and scream, (as long as the windows are up), talk to myself or belt out a tune. Whatever I damn well please.

I can also eat whatever I want, and this can be a downfall as there’s no one there to curb bad habits. I’m trying to change my bad eating habits, but it’s not easy.

Oh yeah, another plus to living alone? Total control over the TV remote. I can watch what I want, when I want, whatever suits my mood, be it a sappy romance, a crime drama, or an amusing comedy.

Living alone has its freedoms, but also its downfalls. I miss having someone to talk to at the end of the day, someone with whom I can share my thoughts and feelings.

I guess that’s why, at this late hour, I’m writing my blog, checking for E-mails, and taking a peek at Facebook.

As much as people slam social media, as replacing real, face to face interactions, for some of us it keeps us connected. And as I live with a chronic illness and get out less and less, I need that connection.

There are blessings, and there are pitfalls, and they’re all part of life. It’s up to us to make the most of it.

 

 

 

 

No comments: