Friday 3 January 2014

Unwritten Rules...School Fundraisers



I think it’s an unwritten rule, “Grandmothers must purchase at least one item from each and every fundraising campaign the school enlists”.

It used to be easy, who can’t use Christmas wrapping paper. And what happened to the frozen pies and cookies? That one was around when my kids were small.

Last year my grandson had a sales catalogue and I purchased a cookbook, titled ‘Summer Savoury’ It is apparently is full of “proven recipes from a season’s harvest of Vegetables and Berries”.

It’s a good book, I’ve tried a number of recipes from it and all have been a hit.

Today I’m making Apple Glazed Carrots. I found with my own kids and now the grandkids that cooked carrots are not a favourite. Raw carrots, especially with a dip are great, but cooked, no way.

I used to cheat, adding butter and brown sugar to give the carrots a glaze and make them more appetizing by appealing to their sweet tooth. It worked for my kids and they have continued the practise with their own offspring.

I’m making a side dish for a family dinner and decided to try this new recipe from my cookbook. It’s a slight variation, using applesauce with the brown sugar. Other versions I’ve seen use maple syrup or honey.

 
 Apple Glazed Carrots
 
1/4 cup apple sauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp butter
 
Cook until brown sugar melts. Pour over cooked carrots. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
 
The recipe didn't specify 'cooked' carrots, but I'm assuming cooked as 15 minutes in the oven wouldn't be enough time to cook the carrots, but enough time to heat them through and coat with glaze.
 
You'll have to use your own judgement on this.
 
I'm going to cook the carrots today, add the glaze to them tomorrow and put them in my slow cooker.
 
 
 
Here’s another recipe from the same book.

Carrot Dip

Sliced, peeled carrots                                              3
Brown sugar                                                            1 tbsp
Chopped chives                                                       1 stalk
Mashed garlic                                                          1 clove
Olive oil                                                                   1 tbsp

Cook carrots in water with garlic until tender. Remove from heat and cool. Blend in food processor: adding chives, brown sugar and oil. Add extra water if too thick. Place in bowl; refrigerate.
 
Great with nacho chips or crackers.

I’ve made this for summer barbecues, and had adults look at it askance. Carrots? Kids aren’t the only ones who have to be tricked into eating their vegetables.

The nice thing about carrots is they are cheap and available year round, not like…asparagus. Another vegetable the kids don’t like. And then there are Brussels sprouts, I won’t even go there.

I’ll let you know if the new carrot recipe is a hit.

 

No comments: