Saturday 20 June 2015

Attending to Business...Free Book Offer


It is one thing to be creative and spend time writing, painting or whatever, it’s another to treat that creative endeavour like a business.

There is so much non-creative work involved in being successful. I read an article in the newspaper about a woman who took up painting after she quit work and she made a supreme effort sending her work to galleries, entering art shows and so on. And it paid off for her.

A different way of managing one’s work than anything I’ve ever done. I have only entered the annual juried show in the local gallery, and it’s a point of pride for me that my work was never declined. Most of my artwork is packed away in a box, what I haven’t given away.

When I turned to writing I laughed because if I was going to amass a collection of words, it was easier to store...a flash drive takes up so much less room.

But I needed that ‘art show’ feeling of accomplishment and turned to self publishing. I wrote a book, polished it through a series of edits, got my talented brother to do the cover and published it on Amazon for Kindle readers. There, a project completed from start to finish.

I now have four books written and put out there for Kindle readers. It’s a risk, as anyone could leave a review, good or bad. But at this stage in my life I need to feel productive. It was worth the risk.

But the business end, promoting the books, promoting myself is difficult. I took the easy way out and in one day of seeing to the business of writing, set up a schedule where I offered books for free. But I forgot to note the dates on my calendar.

So it was with great surprise when I saw today that 68 copies of my book Left in Sorrow had been ordered during a free give away. The free books are still available today and tomorrow, so here’s the link if you’re interested.


It’s such a thrill, (am I naive or what?), to think that that many people are reading my work. And all those copies out there with no effort on my part. It’s exciting, but I did follow up with some notes on social media, and the future give away dates are noted in my calendar.

No comments: