Thursday 18 August 2022

The Fly

 I found myself eating ice cream last night at midnight.  Apparently ice cream is second to chocolate on the list of comfort foods. My need of comfort began earlier in the day. 

Yesterday in the late afternoon the sky turned grey and ominous.  The sound of thunder and sudden flashes of lightning spoke of a coming storm. There had been warnings so I was not surprised to see the sky change.

But we did not get a forceful downpour, nor did we get the winds that have accompanied summer storms previously. We got a steady rain, coming straight down like a wall of water.  It was pretty and I found the sound lovely. So I opened my door to get the full benefit of Mother Nature’s beauty.

The problem with the open door is it lets the bugs in, namely flies.

When the rain ended I closed my door. I enjoyed my dinner, did my dishes and relaxed to watch a movie. It was as I was crocheting that a fly made itself known.  It persisted in landing on my hands, a couple of times making me lose a stitch swatting it away. Finally I thought I was rid of it, until I went to bed.

Lights out,  I was comfy in my bed trying to sleep but was bothered by this one pesky fly. It would not leave me alone. Almost an hour passed and I could stand it no more. The battle was on. 

Flyswatter in hand I sat in the chair by my bed, eating ice cream and watching a repeat episode of Chicago PD. I was the good guy and the fly was the wanted felon that needed to be taken care of, by any means.

I got one good swat at him but he eluded my custody and went into hiding. The ice cream did the job, and I was ready to return to bed.

I won the battle but the war still wages, that fly has begun a day time attack. 

No comments: