Sunday 7 August 2022

Bailey, my Bud











Bailey is the youngest member of my daughter’s family. He is a two year old Labradoodle they got as a puppy.


I’m not sure of all the particulars of why this breed was developed other than it is the most non allergenic of dogs. As my grandson has a long list of allergies this was an important requirement.

My granddaughter brought him over for a visit and forgot his leash. He is still a bit puppy but is usually very obedient. You caught the “usually” right?

I live in a seniors complex, made up of quad units so we’re close together, in our own little neighbourhood. It’s quiet, and not very busy. 

I had left the door open for the sun and breeze, the dog playing with a tennis ball while the humans visited.

It all happened at once. The maintenance man on his small tractor pulling a cart to collect the garbage, the volunteer delivering a meal, and my 95 year old neighbour stepping out to get her dinner. 

Bailey barked and charged out the door, followed by my granddaughter who quickly got the dog in her control and back inside. Funny thing, he stayed by my side after that, as if he was protecting me.

Old people, they are not always the forgive and forget type. I got a stern lecture from my neighbour about the danger of a big dog being loose where there are vulnerable seniors around. I agreed and apologized, promised I would not let it happen again.

Still, I got the cold shoulder for about a week, the neighbour not speaking to me. Of the four of us in our little section, one unit is currently empty, and the fourth is home to a lovely, very active, very social English woman. As I am home all the time, the one my neighbour usually visits with, she got over her harsh feelings about the dog. 

There was a collage art project I wanted to try and Bailey seemed the perfect subject. I gathered my glue, my old magazines and my scissors and got to work. It was fun, and for a first try at something so finicky and detailed. I think I got a fairly good likeness.




 

No comments: