Thursday 30 June 2022

Sandwich Memories

 My daughter came by for lunch today and I made her one of my favourite sandwiches. A fresh croissant with cream cheese and raspberry jam. I’ll buy the necessary “makings” every once in awhile and treat myself. My guest said it tasted like a danish and I suppose it kind of does. 

I first tasted this combination thirty years ago when I was working in a city hospital. A coworker  and I were going through the line in the hospital cafeteria and I was curious when she selected a croissant and a couple individual containers of the jam and cream cheese.  I watched her construct her sandwich and was sold when she gave me a taste. It’s been a long time Remonde, but thanks for the lunch idea and the memories.

Another great sandwich I make is a version of what my Dad and I ordered when dining in a French restaurant in downtown Toronto. I was home for the summer on break from nursing school. Dad and I always had lunch at least once when I was home, a bit of father-daughter time. 

We had a great layered sandwich with bread, ham, and of course cheese. Their version had two slices of bread but I make mine with just one. So, to make it. Toast a piece of bread and place it on/in an ovenproof dish or baking sheet.  On top of that goes a piece of ham. Not the thinly sliced deli ham but a thicker piece.

This makes a good meal after you’ve cooked a whole ham, uses up the leftovers. After the ham is a slice of Mozzarella cheese, then a second piece of toast if you like.  The top is then covered in grated cheddar cheese and the whole thing baked until all the cheese is melted.

My Dad has been gone a long time, and this has become one of those comfort foods that make me feel a warmth, a security of loving and being loved in return. ❤️

My last memory sandwich comes from my Mom. She was not a Susie Homemaker but an artist, and meals were not always planned ahead, so we never knew what we might be having. Mom wasn’t one for the tried and true meat and potatoes menu. She liked to experiment and if we saw a magazine open on the counter we knew it would be one of those nights.

This one is made on a hamburger bun. Lay the buns open on a baking sheet. Layer ham on one side, and this time the deli sliced is good. Cover with a drained ring of pineapple and fill centre of the pineapple with Cheeze Whiz.  Place the baking sheet under broiler until cheese is melted and top of bun toasted brown.

I have had so many people turn their nose up at the description of this sandwich only to rave about it after tasting. This is one meal that my kids approve and have served to their families.

This one was a keeper, Mom, not like that horrible Captain’s Casserole you tried. That was so bad we were relieved when Dad voted no, never again, with the kids. 


No comments: