Saturday 16 January 2021

Knit VS Crochet

 I was watching an old CSI New York the other day and was shocked, shocked I tell you, at the error I saw in their use of props. I worked in amateur theatre and know the importance of having the correct props in the setting and for items the actors hold.

I am an avid crocheter, as opposed to knitter, so the mistake I saw was so obvious I couldn’t believe someone on set didn’t notice the mistake.

The setting is a dog show, and one of the dog owners has been found murdered by a knitting needle. Now I understand why a knitting needle was used as a murder weapon, it’s long and has a pointed end on it. A crochet hook is shorter and has a blunt end. 

That is not what bothered me. The police are questioning the owner of the knitting needles and she explains that she knits her little dog show darling clothes and blankets and such. As she’s speaking she points to the blanket on her lap. ITS CROCHETED FROM GRANNY SQUARES!

I get that some knitting and crochet to the non needle worker might look similar. I have a daughter who constantly sends me posts from Pinterest with a “can you make this?” note attached.  I always respond that it’s knit and send her a post back of a ‘like’ item in crochet.

I guess I just thought that granny squares would be more recognizable.  I have an old afghan made by my great grandmother so knew the craft long before I ever tried it.

My brother worked in the film industry for decades. He told me once that there was a job that required that person to ensure continuity, especially necessary when scenes are not completed in one day or are filmed out of order.  This was more of a props problem and I am sorely disappointed that not one person saw the error.

Details, details, details.  Details are important.  I’ve said my piece and now my crocheter’s heart can rest easy. LOL


No comments: