Tuesday 12 January 2021

Amid the Chaos

 I was a nurse for many decades and often, after a rough day, someone would relieve the tension with some off colour or inappropriate comment that would make everyone laugh. It has been said laughter is the best medicine.

I’ve been watching the news, the ongoing coverage of the disturbing events that transpired in Washington on January 6th.  There was one interview with a Trump fan, others of that ilk in the background. The news  commentator described the hand signal one of the men was making, said it was meant to communicate, one white supremacist to another.  I thought it was just an OK sign. They quickly changed to a background to a picture of the White House.

Then I looked across the room to my bookcase where a 10 inch ceramic hand sits, a hand making the sign for OK. It was a gift from my brother, and I said it would remind me I was doing OK, as I was going through a rough patch at the time.

I texted him and our conversation went like this:

Me: Did you know you gave me a ceramic statue of the white supremes symbol?

Him: Who are the white supremes?

Me: Oops. Supremacists My phone doesn’t want me to say the word.

Him: Imagine perverting the OK sign like that.

Him: I ordered you a Confederate flag, should be there soon. Thought it would look nice in your window.

Me: I’ve missed your sense of humour.  That really made me laugh.

And a laugh was just what I needed to off set the frightening news from south of the border  

No comments: