Thursday 12 April 2018

The Competition

)A little competition can be a healthy thing, unless it gets out of hand. Something happened this week that reminded me of these old song lyrics.

Irving Berlin wrote this song in 1946 for the  Broadway musical "Annie Get Your Gun". It was performed as a duet. Here's the first of it, all I can remember.

"Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you."

"No, you can't!"

"Yes. I  can."

"No, you can't."

"Yes, I can."

"Yes, I can! Yes, I can!

So, the competition.

Last week I had a fall at my son's place when the dog rushed out the door at the same time as me (the dog rushed, not me, LOL) knocking me off balance. My daughter had exited ahead of me and was down the couple of steps. She stepped in and broke my fall, as my son grabbed for me from behind.

We all ended up on the floor laughing. I'll admit that night I felt the aches and pains of that jarring, but was relieved, as the outcome could have been much worse.

Yesterday, while painting a bedroom, my daughter fell off the step stool, and managed to land on the floor without spilling a drop of paint. Scored a 10 for that landing, for sure.

So now we are even, one fall apiece. But, she's a competitive soul, that kid of mine.

Parking on the left side of her driveway, when she usually parks on the far right, she exited the car, assuming she had lots of room and found out quickly that there was a limited amount of space.  She once again found herself on the ground with a scrape on her leg, a few bruises and even more aches and pains.

I declare her the winner of this Falls Challenge. She's too tough a competitor for me.

Next time, I'm hoping for a Bake Off, something a bit easier, and with better rewards.


No comments: