Thursday 8 February 2018

NCIS Cast Changes

I am a die hard fan of the television show NCIS, the original and the offshoots into the cities of Los Angeles and New Orleans.



As the show is syndicated, I can watch reruns most any day and any time. I am able to watch as often as I do because I don't pay much attention. The television is background to whatever I might be doing. Usually it's art, or crafts, maybe cooking, less often housework.

I have detested one character in particular, that being Tony DeNozzo. He is, without mincing any words, a jerk. He bullies his coworkers, especially if they are male and might have some superior skill, as with McGee and his talent with computers.

He feels every female agent should be falling for him, as he is a gift to all womankind.

And as much as he seems to respect Gibbs, their fearless leader, he mocks him for his age, his need for glasses, his many failed marriages. I was tired of the antics of this character on the show, and if I did nothing but watch, would most likely have ceased to watch years ago.

When I heard that Michael Weatherly, the actor playing Tony DiNozzo, was leaving the show, I was overjoyed. Finally.

Other characters had left, namely the two female stars, to be replaced by the character Ellie Bishop. Now her I liked.

And I liked the other two characters thatrecently joined the NCIS team, though one only lasted that one season.

Now I read that Pauley Perette is leaving the show. She plays lab rat Abby Scuito. Many fans might be disappointed to hear this news, after all, she's been on the show from the beginning and seemed to be a key part of the Gibbs team.

Myself, I like to see a character grow and change, and I grew tired of this character's little girl yet Goth persona. She never seemed to have an ongoing relationship and really, after 14 years could she not wear her hair in something other than those pigtails?

I read an article on line that stated she was leaving the show because Mark Harmon (Gibbs), brought his dog on set and she was afraid of it. Apparently Mr. Harmon ignored her requests to have the dog removed and she had no recourse but to quit the show.

The article stated that it was so bad on set she couldn't film a scene with her coworker, who is also the executive producer. This made me curious so I watched the last three segments of the show on On Demand and noticed that indeed, these two actors did not appear in a scene together. Maybe there is some fire to go with all that smoke.

Makes you wonder if it was as harmonious on the set as it was depicted, that an issue like this, if real, could break up the cast.  I for one, am looking forward to see who joins the cast, and hope they make whoever it is is a real person, and not some cartoonish character of a lab rat nerd.

The eccentric, odd ball brainy type is wearing thin, as every crime show has their own version. (Bones, Scorpion, NCIS Los Angeles, NCIS New Orleans, CSI, Elementary to name a few.) People with superior brains can be just as "normal" as the rest of us.

No comments: