Tuesday 27 February 2018

Goodbye Velma

I named my van a couple of years ago, thinking if we were on a more friendly basis, she might stop acting out. There were a number of times she wouldn't start, demanding a new battery, and I gave in.

I'm not sure where the name Velma came from but it seemed appropriate, suitable for the grand old lady that was my vehicle.

I called her maintenance trips to the garage Velma's spa trips, a bit of pampering to keep her happy and running smooth. Much like me, where the mind, or in Velma's case the engine, was willing but the body was failing, Velma suffered from a case of terminal rust.

Her spa master had warned that the rust was getting so bad he would soon have to take her off the road for safety reasons, so I could see our relationship changing.

Our Canadian winters are rough on a vehicle, and I'm the worst kind of driver for this climate. I only drive short distances, to the store, to see friends, and don't drive every day.  So Velma sat out in the damp and cold, the salt off the roads eating away at her from the underside. Other than that she was in pretty good condition for a fifteen year old car with 150,000 Km .

The thought of buying a new car was daunting, But then I was given a special gift.

A long time friend of mine, eighteen years my senior, lost her license, doctor's orders. Her car, also a van, was older than mine, but in better condition. My friend gifted me her van which I have named Bertha. She drove even less than me and had neglected it a bit, so I took her to the spa for a checkup  and some required repairs before we did the paperwork to change the vehicle into my name.

I am now her designated driver, and very appreciative of her generosity.

Let me tell you, growing old sucks. I have watched my friend change into a frail old woman over recent years. She has fought the aging process, but it gives you with new challenges on a constant basis and she was losing the fight. Sometimes, I tell her, it makes life easier to give in to things like a cane or walker, but she would rather struggle through, fighting to maintain every ounce of her independence.

We all manage the best we can, and for us, we'll continue the fight, helping each other as best we can.

No comments: