Wednesday 18 September 2013

Movie Quotes


Have you ever noticed how words and phrases coined by the movies are passed into our common everyday language? These quotes are overused and parodied in popular culture, almost becoming quote clichés. We work them into our conversations, and they become running jokes in our lives.

Some examples:

“What we’ve got here…is a failure to communicate.” Cool Hand Luke 1967

“Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” Gone With the Wind 1939

“I’ll be back.” The Terminator 1984

Sometimes it’s just the title that gives an explanation far beyond the words spoken, like Catch 22 or The Bucket List.

Famous and popular movie quotes have survived the test of time due to late night re-runs, DVD’s and You Tube. Some famous lines are not what you think they are. Words that are commonly recited, endlessly repeated often become misquoted.

You often hear “Houston, we have a problem.” The movie quote is really “Ah, Houston, we’ve had a problem.” The line is from Apollo 13.
 
From Field of Dreams the line you hear is “If you build it they will come.” The true line is “If you build it he will come.”

One of the most famous quotes is from the Dirty Harry movie. The actual quote is often shortened to “Do you feel lucky, punk?” But fans of the movie still get the meaning; the full quote is “You’ve got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?”

A few more movie quotes that might be found in conversation: “Love means never having to say you’re sorry,” from Love Story 1970. Or maybe “You talkin’ to me?” from Taxi Driver. How about “I’ll have what she’s having,” from When Harry Met Sally?

How many of the following quotes do you remember?
 
Can you name the movie?

  1. “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”
  2. “Snakes. Why’d it have to be snakes?”
  3. “Yippee Kay-yay, motherf—ker.”
  4. “We came. We saw. We kicked its ass.”
  5. “You make me want to be a better man.”
  6. “Show me the money.”
  7. “It rubs the lotion on its skin.”
  8. “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!”
  9. A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
  10. “I’m gonna to make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
  11. “You can’t handle the truth.”
  12. “Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.”
  13. “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”
  14. “I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody.”
  15. “We’re going to need a bigger boat.
Here are the answers. How did you do?

  1. The Princess Bride, 1987
  2. Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1981
  3. Die Hard, 1988
  4. Ghostbusters, 1984
  5. As Good as it Gets, 1997
  6. Jerry Maguire, 1996
  7. Silence of the Lambs, 1991
  8. Network, 1976
  9. War Games, 1983
  10. The Godfather, 1972
  11. A Few Good Men, 1992
  12. The Wizard of Oz, 1939
  13. Casablanca, 1942
  14. On the Waterfront, 1954
  15. Jaws, 1975
“Live long and prosper.”

No comments: