Monday 1 January 2018

Happy New Year

January 1st, the start of a new year. I know people like to make resolutions, but I find it an exercise in futility. Why make resolutions, which for me are the same ones every year, when the odds are I won't keep them.

So I started the day with a different kind of 'In with the New, Out with the Old'. I went through my refrigerator and cleaned out all those outdated jars and bottles. Like the mayonaise that was 6 months out of date, the old and opened salad dressings (and who needs 6 salad dressings anyway) and the salsa that had black lumps that I doubt are part of the original recipe.

Now my fridge is looking clearer, and with a few wipes with a damp cloth, cleaner.

I then organized the cupboard, checking dates on canned goods and jars. Nothing to be tossed here because that job was done a few months ago when I bought a shelf rack in my continual plan to reorganize.

Taking a break to have my morning oatmeal and my pile of pills. And the lemon in hot water. Ugh. This is a resolution I'm trying, experimenting with.

Next in my cleaning/organizing will be the top of the pantry. I have it designated as a sort of desk and craft cupboard. In reality it's the place I hide stuff when I need to do a quick clean up. I see there are a number of items for craft projects never started. Maybe I'll get to that as there are many winter months ahead where I'll be house bound and looking for something to do.

Some of my gang are coming into town, and we're doing lunch. After that it will be back to...not cleaning, not organizing...but creating. I have this idea for a painting and want to work on it.

The other stuff can wait. I like to think that because my style of art is mixed media collage, every art project is sort of organizing and cleaning out. I use scraps of paper, paint etc and that reduces the "junk" in my stash.

See, it all works. You just have to have the right attitude.

Happy New Year to everyone. Hope it brings you health, wealth and happiness.


No comments: