Friday 22 December 2017

Navy is the New Black

The other day I was out shopping and as I walked to the store in the bright sunlight I noticed that my T-shirt was navy and my fleece jacket was black. I thought I had selected a black T out of my pile of black T's but guess what...it was navy.

This happened to me once before, but was more distressing as it was a dressy occasion. I had on my beautiful soft gold jacket, one of those fooler things where the top underneath was attached. It was creme colored and designed to look like a vest. There was decorative braiding with pewter colored studs. It was one of my favorite jackets.

That day I had worn it with what I thought were my dress black slacks, which turned out to be navy. I was self conscious of it the whole evening though I don't know if anyone else noticed in the soft lights.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine, so I was glad it isn't just me.

From mow on I'm going to have to separate my navy from my black, or quit wearing navy altogether. No way will I ever give up black.

I guess I need to institute a window test. That's standing in the bright light from outside to determine whether what I've chosen is really black or the navy. I'll have to find a substitute light if the day is dark, dreary or deep into the night.

And people wonder why I wear so much black. But, have you noticed how many shades of black there are? Sometimes you have to match the blacks. What a conundrum.

This is one of the reasons I wear denim, other than the comfort and ease, is denim matches everything.

No comments: