Friday 3 November 2017

TV Guide

Do you remember the old TV Guide, the one you picked up weekly at the grocery store check out?

It had the listings for the week, interesting articles, sometimes a recipe and a crossword puzzle on the inside back cover.

I liked to read through, see what was on. I especially liked the fall issue that gave you a rundown of new and returning shows. Here it is fall, and I'm confused with the number of shows available.

With the number of channels now available, the TV Guide would be too big to be useful. Scanning the listings offered by my cable company is bad enough.

The one thing I do with the listings, is read the caption about what happens in each particular episode. You don't actually have to watch the show, to stay current, or almost current.

I have a DVR, PVR, or whatever you want to call it, and record ahead of time,  save to watch later. I have a number of my favorite movies recorded, and a number that sounded good, but I've yet to watch.

I like the crime shows, NCIS, in all its locations, are my faves. So, I have episodes recorded in lump showings, not individually. When the daytime programs are not appealing, I can go to the PVR and put on 2, 3 or 4 hours of shows, and let it run.

The thing is, I don't really pay attention, as I'm usually doing some kind of craft project. It's background noise, and when I watch it's to give my eyes a rest from doing close work.

 I like the reruns, the repeats, and I find it funny that sometimes, I can watch a show I've seen before and see something new. Not a surprise as I don't always wear my glasses at home, and am hit and miss with my view of the screen.

New shows, old shows and hundreds of channels and we still complain that there's nothing on.

No comments: