Friday 16 March 2018

My Addiction

I am addicted to yarn, and as I already having a fondness for on line shopping...have found myself in a spot of trouble. I got an e mail from my favorite yarn company offering 30% off some yarns, and clearance prices for others.

I have ordered from this company before, and loved the yarn and their prompt service. Problem is that this is a US company and as I live in Canada I need to convert to Canadian currency. Fortunately I can do that conversion as I order.

Also, in order to get free shipping I need to order $75 worth of product, so that makes the bill a lot more when I convert. I have a strange way of justifying my order. If the price in Canadian is less than or on par with what I can buy local, it's a good deal, and the color selection is so much greater.

If the shipping was going to be about $15 or $20 dollars, and I was close to the $75 dollars in my order, I just ordered more. If the money is going out, one way or another, it might as well go for yarn. That's how I justify making the order
.
I live a quiet life, don't take vacation, the highlight being family get-togethers or meals out with friends, so I figure I can spend my money on yarn as I get so much pleasure out of creating, and giving.

I have made baby hats for the newborn nursery, chemo hats for the hospital and hats and scarves for the women's shelter. My family (the girls) are fussy and I learned not to waste my time making things they would never wear. My son likes sweaters as he's an outdoors guy, and his kids are always taking hats I've made for winter.

Their other grandmother knits and makes them hats and mitts so I wasn't surprised when they pulled out a huge bag of hats we have made them over the years.

I occasionally get requests to make items, like a family set of matching Christmas stockings or funny hats. I only charge friends for yarn, giving my time for free.

This last order, was troublesome. I wanted the colors to start my Christmas crochet. That's when I make every person in the family the same type of thing. I've done hats, of course, then slippers, socks, and last year surprised them all with a stuffed animal. I make 15 in all, whatever it is. The fun for me is finding that pattern for each individual. Boy, are they going to be surprised this year.

I had some computer trouble when placing my order and parts of it were, tripled. It happened to be the Christmas order. So, rather than send it back I decided to keep it and figured the charities I crochet for would get a nice donation next year.

I had to scurry to store it all, and have yarn tucked away in every nook and cranny of my small place. If need be I know the kids will store a bin for me but I like to keep it close, just in case my creative urges need that particular yarn to be satisfy my inner artist.

I am a happy hooker, hoarder, whatever.

No comments: